During brisk fall nights, there is no better way to relax than with a big ‘ole pot of deliciously homemade soup. This month I’m sharing two of my favorite vegetable soup recipes that are satisfying, healthy, and completely hassle-free.
WHITE BEAN SOUP
If you’re looking for a wholesome and hearty soup, you must try this one. It’s made up of simple ingredients and takes only a few minutes to put together!
2 cups dry white beans, soaked for 3 hours to overnight
2 stalks celery, minced
1 onion, minced
1/2 tsp. dry rosemary
3 teaspoons salt
1 sweet potato, finely cubed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs. oil
1 small zucchini, finely cubed
1/2 tsp. turmeric
8 cups water
1. In a soup pot, sauté the vegetables with the oil over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes.
2. Add the seasoning and white beans, then cover with water and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, cover the pot and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. When the beans are tender, blend a third of the soup until creamy, then mix it into the rest of the soup. Add water to loosen, if needed.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH ZAATAR CROUTONS
Root veggies are a great way to make any ordinary soup creamy and irresistible. This soup will fill your home with delicious aromas for weeks. You’ll want to make this over and over!
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stems included
2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
6-7 cups water
For the zaatar croutons:
3 slices bread, cubed
1 tbs. zaatar
Drizzle of olive oil
Sprinkle of salt
1. In a large soup pot, sauté the vegetables in the oil over high heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to caramelize.
2. Add in the seasoning and the water and bring to a boil, then reduce the flame to medium and cover the pot. Cook for 25 minutes until the squash is fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile, toss the cubed bread with the zaatar, salt, and olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
4. Blend the soup until smooth. Serve with croutons.
How to turn soup into a meal
These simple side dishes can turn a bowl of soup into a satisfying and hearty meal