After a long day of running around to deliver mishloach manos, it feels so good to sit down to a warm, nourishing meal. These savory dishes are sure to please everyone at your table!
Loaded with vegetables and tender ground beef, all simmered together in a delicious sauce and topped with creamy mashed potatoes, this is the ultimate comfort food. The best part is it can be made ahead of time and freezes perfectly!
1lb. ground beef
2 onions, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 cup frozen peas
For the potatoes:
6-8 gold potatoes, boiled
1/2 tsp. salt, more to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 cup unflavored nondairy milk
Cooking oil spray
1. Heat a wide skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the ground beef, spices, and onions for 10 minutes. Add the peas and cook for an additional 2 more minutes. Shut the flame and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring a pot of potatoes and cold water to a boil and cook until fork tender, then mash the potatoes with the pareve milk and seasoning.
3. Place the meat mixture in the bottom of an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato mixture. Use a spoon to spread the mashed potatoes to all corners of the dish, then spray the top with cooking oil.
4. Bake on 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Optional: Place under the broiler for 5 minutes to brown the mashed potatoes.
Teriyaki BBQ Pulled Beef Tacos
Tender beef smothered in smoky barbecue sauce all wrapped up in a warm tortilla. It’ll definitely be a kid and adult favorite!
3 lbs. stew meat, cubed
1 1/2 cups barbeque sauce
1/2 cup honey
2 yellow onions, minced or grated
1/4 cup water
Corn tortillas, for serving
1. Mix all the ingredients in an instant cooking pot or crockpot.
2. Set the instant pot to pressure cook the meat for 30 minutes. If using a crockpot, cook in 3- or 4-quart crockpot for 6 hours on low and 3 hours on high. Check the tenderness of the beef with a fork.
3. Once the meat is tender, remove from the pot and simmer the sauce on high for 10 to 15 minutes until its thickened. Meanwhile, use two forks or clean hands to shred the beef, then mix it with the sauce. Serve with tortillas, guacamole, and all your favorite taco fixings!
TIP: Freeze the shredded beef with some sauce in Ziplock bags for a later time. Thaw for a few hours before use.
MODERN SAVORY TWISTS ON HAMANTASHEN
Here are some unique hamantashen ideas to play around with this Purim. All you’ll need are store bought dough and your favorite fillings!
– Crispy wonton: Fill round wonton wrappers with ground beef or chicken, teriyaki sauce, scallions, and ginger. Use egg wash to seal in a triangle shape, and fry until golden brown. Serve with duck sauce.
–Everything bagel: Fill mini pizza dough with cream cheese, pinch corners into a triangle shape. Brush with egg wash and season with everything bagel seasoning. Bake for 15-20 min until dough is cooked through.
Olive dip filled: In a food processor, blend olives, olive oil, garlic, parsley, and oregano until a thick paste forms. Fill mini pizza dough with a teaspoon of the olive dip and pinch the corners into a triangle shape. Brush the outside with olive oil then bake for 15-20 minutes until dough is cooked through.