When preparing for a barbeque or picnic, the side dishes are just as important as the mains. These recipes highlight delicious seasonal vegetables that have reached their peak of ripeness under that summer sun. Happy grilling, chefs!
Roasted Eggplant Dip
Babaganoush is a delicious Middle Eastern roasted eggplant dip that is incredibly easy to make. This version is seasoned with fresh flavors like lemon and parsley that will keep you coming back for more!
2 medium eggplants
1 jalapeno pepper
1 red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Grill the vegetables over an open flame or on the barbecue. Allow the skin of the vegetables to blister and char completely, rotating every few minutes. The eggplant will take more time to soften, as it is thicker than the rest of the vegetables.
2. Place the vegetables in a plastic bag and tie the bag, allowing them to steam. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Once cooled, peel the vegetables and blend in a food processor or chop finely with a sharp knife. Season and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature.
Mexican Street Corn
If you’re looking for new ways to use up some corn, look no further! This simple dish has it all: creamy, spicy, and citrusy! It’s the perfect light side dish for any BBQ or picnic.
10 oz bag frozen corn
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbs. mayonnaise
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Minced fresh cilantro for topping
Crumbled feta cheese (optional)
1. Heat a heavy-duty skillet on high heat for 3 minutes. Add the corn and toss every minute or so until the corn is slightly charred. Allow the corn to cool completely.
2. In a bowl, mix the seasonings with the cooked corn, then top with cheese and cilantro before serving.
Good on EVERYTHING BBQ Spice Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs. sweet paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
1 tbs. black pepper
1 1/2 bs. salt
2 tbs. smoked paprika
1 tbs. onion powder
1 tsp. dry thyme
1/2 tsp. allspice powder
Combine all seasonings and store in a covered jar in a cool, dry place.